Thursday, March 31, 2011

Feedback on rejections

I generally receive around 200+ submissions for every issue. I accept ten poems (or fifteen for the art issue). That means a lot of poems to read and reject. I don't always comment on rejections, mostly because I just don't have the time. Then how do I find out why my poem was rejected? you ask. Well, one of the best ways to find out whether a poem works or not is to participate in one of the many online poetry workshops that are available on the web.

Besides editing Autumn Sky Poetry, I also serve as the Site Admin Poets.org's discussion forum. Anyone can become a member and post poems there. It's a lovely community sponsored by The Academy of American Poets (Poets.org).

Occasionally, I will critique a poem on the forum that I find interesting. I make no promises, but if you're ever wondering why I've rejected one of your poems, you may find out if you are willing to participate at Poets.org.

However please remember: if you post poems for critique, you must also critique other people's poems. Lest you think this is too much work for the answers you'd like, I must politely disagree. One of the best ways to grow as a writer is to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of other people's writing. It sharpens every one of your skills: it increases your facility with reading and interpreting poems, it hones your ability to persuade with your writing, and it often gives you surprising insight into how language really works.

If you're interested, feel free to sign up. Don't forget to read the Posting & Conduct Guidelines before you get started!

No comments: