Tuesday, May 31, 2011

SASE—yes, it's important

I've been getting snail-mail submissions for a year now, ever since I placed a listing in Poet's Market. However, I am amazed at the number of submissions I receive without a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE). I honestly didn't think I needed to specifically state that I needed one of those, but apparently I do.  So, for the record:

If you are sending me a snail-mail submission for Autumn Sky Poetry, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Please.

If you don't include an SASE, I won't be responding, particularly if you haven't included an email address. Your poems will disappear into my recycle bin and you will be left wondering what the heck happened to them. Why am I so mean about this? Because I can't afford the envelopes and stamps or time. I already pay for all the online stuff out of my own pocket without any hope of ever recovering my costs, so I'm certainly not going to fork over more cash for stamps and envelopes. If you have never heard of an SASE before, please read up about it. It's important.

No comments: